Home projects

Visions of vision boards … or how I made my own damn board that was exactly what I wanted

So I’ve been on this big mental health kick for a while, working on vision boards that involve more than a virtual pin board (though I do love Pinterest) and non-cheesy motivational sayings. In order to have a vision board of some sort I turned to Pinterest, which I personally think is pretty funny: searching and creating a virtual board for an actual board I’d be making. 

Anywho, once I had an idea of what I wanted I turned to the idea of what material I would use. I was torn img_1380between using cork board over wood or just wood to make more of a French memo board. I had some leftover plywood from my bookshelf backings that were just sitting in the garage; not wanting to have to cut the wood down to size, I used the pieces as they were (38″ x 30″). The only caveat to the plywood I had is that it’s ¼” thick and I wanted to make sure I could hang this sucker with no difficulties (ie: not having it fall off the wall in the middle of the night) I doubled up the plywood using some nuts and bolts I found in my garage.

I only took pictures of my board once it was stapled together so I don’t have any from my process but started to take pictures when I started my cousins. The process is the exact same with a few tiny details.

After securing the wood together, I laid my wood down on top of the batting and cut it a little less than an inch beyond the wood on all sides. The reason for going beyond the wood is so that there was enough batting so no edges would be sharpimg_1384 from the wood. I then cut the fabric to be a little bigger than the batting, it’s easier to cut off a little bit of extra fabric than having things too small. I made sure everything was centered before stapling things together. To get the stapling started and to keep everything from shifting during this process, I stapled in the center of each side one time, pulling the fabric taut and holding the fabric in place before placing the staple gun in the board. I’m very methodical so I went around each section and did this until there were staples all the way around and the fabric was secure and taut on the front. 

I flipped the board over and put a blanket underneath it so the staples wouldn’t scratch the dining table. Trying to figure img_1302out the ribbon placing was a bit difficult at first, until I decided to place the ribbon from corner to corner. I used a fine tip pen to lightly mark the placement on the fabric on either side of the ribbon. Making sure the ribbon had not twisted when I flipped the board back over, I stapled both ends to the board keeping it taut. (We’ll call the first pair of ribbons primary ribbons)  I chose a random length to have between each section and placed the (secondary) length of ribbon equally from each of the primary ribbons. I repeated the process of lightly marking the fabric and stapling the ribbon to the board. For the tertiary length of ribbon, I measured the same distance between the primary and secondary ribbons, repeating the whole stapling process.

Now, here is where things start to differ between my board and my cousin’s board. Once all the ribbons were attached on my board, I used decorative nails from JoAnn at the center of each ribbon crossing. I used a French cleat from Home Depot, attached it to a stud, and hung my board. Yes I know this is a bit overkill, but I would rather be safe than sorry.img_1345


So back to my cousin’s board. I covered her board in an oatmeal linen and used lace ribbon from JoAnn, the only problem that we ran into was at the point of intersection. The ribbon measured 1.5″ across and would thereforeimg_1386 need more than a decorative nail to cover the crossings. I stapled the very center of each ribbon crossing and we searched for something to put at the center. She likes sparkly things so she picked these out on Amazon and had them shipped to the house. The only problem is that these are meant for upholstery projects, like doing tufting on a headboard. So when I placed img_1393the buttons on the crossings, they kind of flopped to one side or the other instead of laying flat. You can see in the background of this image the loop that makes it a button. So I had to figure out how to remove the loop, easy enough with the help of some needle nose pliers to cut the loop, then pry out the remaining metal nubs. So multiply this process by 13 and you’re left with these almost-flat buttons. A bit of hot glue here and there and they look as if they were made specifically for this project. I used the same French cleat to attach the board to her wall, again I can’t be too cautious when it comes to a board that weighs a mere 12 pounds. She was absolutely ecstatic with her board and started inserting photos and personal mantras to keep her motivated during work and school.

img_1397

I think that our French memo/vision boards are perfect for each of us, they sum up our personal styles and allow us to keep our goals in clear view as daily reminders of how we want to live our lives.

Advertisements

4 thoughts on “Visions of vision boards … or how I made my own damn board that was exactly what I wanted”

  1. Heather, I love all of the work you are doing! You are so creative. Makes me want to get started on a project…this summer. Keep it up. You’ve clearly got a talent for this!

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s